The Jobey on...

My personal blog. This is where I unwind and just talk about random things I want to talk about...basically, it's here to clog the blogosphere with useless information...

Sunday, June 19, 2005

"Back Then" by Mike Jones

on Hitler/Nazi references
There have been a lot of comparisons to Hitler and Nazis being thrown around by pundits and Congressmen lately. Most have to do with the Guantanamo Bay "enemy combatant" detention center. These statements are stirring up controversy on both sides of the argument, and it's well that they are.

Hitler/Nazi references must be carefully considered before being used. Calling someone a Hilter or a Nazi is too often done as hyperbole. Using as symbols to represent something less than genocide those who have committed genocide trivializes the meaning of that symbol and the actual impact of the guilty parties. I hate to pick on a particular incident, but when a graduating high school senior refers to a campus security guard as a "parking Nazi" in front of a large audience, it cheapens the Nazi reference by applying it to something trivial and all together shallow.

However, if someone truly believes that the reference is justified, then they have a responsibility to use it. The theory of teaching history is that by learning the mistakes of the past we can prevent them from happening again. If a Senator decides that the Guantanamo Bay is setting our society on a track that might lead to mistakes already made by Nazi Germany, they have a civic responsibility to make their views known so they can be considered by the public.

What You Can Do: Make sure others are aware of what Hitler and the Nazi actually did so they can judge for themselves when the use of references to them should and should not be used.

on recent media consumption
Yesterday, I heard "Freebird" in my car twice--once going to my destination, then again coming back home. Incredible. The stars must have aligned perfectly for me during that trip across town.

Last night, I watched Steal This Movie, a bio-pic on Abbie Hoffman. It's a really great movie. If you're a fan of outlaw culture, liberalism, radical politics, or just stickin' it to the man, you'll probably enjoy this one. Otherwise, go read some Ann Coulter, douche. For more information, read this.

This morning, I watched my first and last episode of PBS's Tucker Carlson Unfiltered. The episode was a retrospective of its first year on the air because this was their last episode. Even if it weren't being cancelled immediately after my viewing, I'd still probably never watch another episode. I find bow-tied conservatives a little creepy. Actually, I find anybody in a bow-tie a little creepy.

The Jobey Poll
If Tricia defaults on a Denny's related agreement, what sanctions should be sought for reparation?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home